Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Messages from the Great Beyond (Part 2)

In my last post I told you about my serendipitous week. Here is event #2:


Last Thursday I received a text from my friend, Amber, who was having lunch in my neighborhood. I was planning to walk to the library, but decided I would ask her if she wanted to stop by instead so we could catch up. We had a great heart-to-heart talk and then she was on her way out. Suddenly she yelled, “I have been looking all over town for this book! I need it for my book club and it is checked out of all of the public libraries. I was about to give in and buy it.”


The night before I put my 4 library books in a stack on the kitchen counter, in anticipation of the walk I was planning to make in the morning. The walk I didn’t take because she texted me. The book she had been looking for over a week, Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, was sitting right on my kitchen counter.


We promptly went to the library. I returned the book and she checked it out.


I chalk it up to another sign from the Great Beyond that most of our worry is futile. We get what we truly need when we truly need it. It was also another great example of being in the right place at exactly the right time.


Do you have any serendipitous events to share? Please add them in the comments. I would love to hear them and maybe post them in a future blog.

4 comments:

  1. I love to hear about these kinds of serendipitous moments. They remind me that there are all kinds of forces in our world that are beyond what we see and comprehend. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an essay that I'll share with you this week. But, here's my contribution to the discussion. Last year, I found myself having one of the most beautiful growth spurts in my adult life. I was taking a 6-week teleclass called Inside/Out all about dealing with body image/issues by loving yourself from the inside-out. On one of the first calls, one of the other women on the call, a complete stranger to me, talked about feeling like she had no reason to wake up in the morning. She was struggling with the end of a relationship with a man who did not value her, and she wasn't clear about her own value either. I decided to send her a dozen roses anonymously to arrive on her doorstep for Valentine's day. The message was a story I'd read in Paulo Coehlo's newsletter that essentially said that a flower must stay open, otherwise it wilts (much more poetic, but I'm writing volumes already.) I signed it "from a friend in Inside/Out." A week to the day that I sent her those flowers, I received a bouquet of "just because" flowers on my doorstep from a friend. The card said that I was a wonderful Mom and person, beatiful inside and out. I count that among the many serendipitous miracles that I have the pleasure of experiencing on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I just finished her first book of stories "Interpreter of Maladies" and was supposed to return my copy to the library today. ... Lahiri is one of those writers who makes you see the world in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VCSMama, Thank you for writing your beautiful story. There are many messages in there that move me and I'm sure others who will read it will also be touched. Thank you for being a part of this online community and sharing your light with us!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis