Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nourishing Rituals




















What do you do everyday without fail?  Brush your teeth?  Wash your face?  Check your email?  Drink a cup of coffee?  These are things that many of us do without thought and without question.  No matter how busy our lives became, we would still do them.  Personally, I would never go to bed without washing my face and applying pimple cream.  Never ever ever.  (If you’ve had chronic acne, I know you understand.)  And I can’t sleep without reading a few pages of my latest library find.  Reading is my sleeping pill and has become a nourishing ritual for me.  

What is a nourishing ritual, you ask?  Well, think of it as hygiene for your soul.  Most religions understand the importance of ritual as a way to get connected with your spirit.  They can also help to manage stress and add balance to your life.  

Here are a few of my favorite nourishing rituals:  sipping hot tea in the evening, writing down my happiest moment of the day in my bedside journal, getting a kiss from my husband before he leaves for work in the morning, buying $3.99 sweetheart roses at Trader Joe's each week, and doing something creative and crafty.

If you aren’t feeling nurtured and centered, consider adding a nourishing ritual or two to your routine.   They can be done weekly or daily, can take less than a few minutes, and can have significant soul soothing effects.  If you want to create the life of your dreams, you need nourishing rituals.  They help you bloom.  

Try these nourishing rituals on for size: taking a warm bath, meditating or praying, journaling, sending letters to friends, knitting, doing self-care activities like painting your toenails, getting a massage,  practicing yoga or tai chi, sewing, cooking, going for a walk, taking photographs, creating or listening to music, spending time in nature, or bonding with your pet.  

What nourishing rituals do you practice?  Please share your ideas with our community so we can all learn from each other.

3 comments:

  1. Amen to all of that! I like all of your suggestions (except that pet-bonding thing - no meow meows or woof woofs in my house). I usually read every night but other than that, I like variety. Maybe I'll set a certain "ritual time" and try something new each time. I totally agree, though, that we need these little things to create a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna know what your pimple cream is... i need me some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I have a whole regimen but the spot treatment I use is Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. It's the bomb! Kathianne

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis