Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Que Sera, Sera

If my life had a soundtrack, the theme song would be Que Sera, Sera. For those of you who are not familiar with this 1950’s classic or who do not read Spanish, that translates to: what will be, will be.


When I was in college, I was frequently anxious. This anxiety overcame me when I took any kind of math or science exam or had a big track meet. Before organic chemistry or biochemistry exams I was a mess. My parents would try and calm me by phone the night before an exam or meet by saying, “all you can do is prepare well, get a good night’s rest, and do your best.”

I have a distinct memory of walking to a final exam one cold winter day. (It was bitterly cold- I went to the University of Minnesota.) To try and calm my anxiety, I would sing the chorus of this song to myself: “Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future’s not ours to see. Que sera, sera.”


If you’ve been following my blog, (or even just read my last post, The Date of the Century), you can see that worry and patience are reoccurring themes for me.


Last week, I was in the restroom of Cafe Alon when my song came on. It hit me then: this song is the theme song of my life's soundtrack.


Even though it has been 12 years since I graduated from college, I still remind myself: Relax Kathianne. All you can do is prepare well, get a good night’s rest, and do your best. Because, after all, whatever will be, will be.


___________

Something to ponder: What would the theme song for your life be? If you feel comfortable sharing, please let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts!


5 comments:

  1. Great post! My theme song is "Steer" by Missy Higgins--it's about realizing your inner strength and taking control of your life.

    Chorus:
    But the search ends here
    Where the night is totally clear
    And your heart is fierce
    So now you finally know
    That you control where you go
    You can steer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be able to pick a theme song, but as always, I can't have favorites!! I really need the whole soundtrack!! That is something I'll have to think about. Hmmm, maybe I'll report back to the class later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRgYfQ48A0

    ReplyDelete
  4. My theme song isn't coming to mind at the moment but yesterday at the bookstore I found a bargain book with my theme title, "it could have been worse." it is a childrens book about spills and bruises but in the meantime the mouse narrowly escapes death by his predators. Pretty cool. RJ didn't quite "get it" at three, but hey, it could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often said .."My life is sometimes like there's a parade going down the street and everyone is trying to push me to the back, so I can't see it." - So, I guess my theme song would be "Don't rain on my Parade" .. Sung, of course my "Babs" with gusto and attitude! I tend to always find my way through the crowd to see the parade and then join in many times. So, I when I get to see the parade, I don't want anything to spoil it, 'cause I've sometimes had fight to get to see it (Love, Family, Respect, Career, my flower garden ... etc.) These lyrics were written for me! http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/funnygirl/dontrainonmyparade.htm

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis