Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Authenticity with Alex


The journey for authenticity is a rich one because in a way you're never not you, and in a way, you can live your whole life without being who you are.  The question is- can your mind and actions be aligned with your deeper self?  When doing movement, the way to practice that is to notice when you're coming from you, your interests, passions, curiosity, and when you are copying, judging, comparing, channeling, and trying to be like another.  It's a fine line and a rewarding one to learn.
                                                                                                                      -Alex Iglecia

Isn't that an incredible quote?  I confess- I had to read it a few times before its fullness sank in.


I've been fortunate to have many inspiring teachers in my life, and Alex Iglecia is one of them.  I even trudged across Boston on dark and cold winter nights to attend his meditation class.  Alex is super intelligent, deep, and intense and I'm pretty sure I don't always get the full gist of what he says.  But I dig that he's frequently discussing authenticity, integrity, and how to continue evolving.

During a recent online conversation, I told him I'm choosing to view parenting as a spiritual practice. So far it's been a great lesson in mindfulness.  He responded with an enlightening answer, as always, "So is childing... it's certainly shift-worthy."  And that, my dear readers, I do get.  


********
I'm in the middle of reading Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Myla and Jon Kabot-Zinn.  While I haven't finished it yet, I've already recommend it to several friends.  It's been healing for my "childing" and hopefully will make me more conscious at parenting.    

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:14 PM CST

    I completely agree with what you said. I feel the same thing, for me there´s no other way to see being a mom but as a spiritual practice. Since the moment I hold Antonio in my arms I felt this incredible love, and each day was showing me that being a mom is forgetting yourself completely, your ego disintegrates and you have to rebuild a new identity in many ways. The purpose of your life becomes to serve and give yourself completely to another human being and I see that as the ultimate spiritual experience.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis